The chickpeas give you the satisfaction of that taco crunchy, and the flavors combine perfectly.
If you prepare the chickpeas when you do other things, they'll stay good in a paper bag for about 3 days.
1 cup chickpeas
1/2 tsp. olive oil
Taco seasoning of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. If using dry, you'll need about 1/2 a cup dry that has been soaked, rather than the full cup. Dry chickpeas.
- In a bowl, toss chickpeas with oil to coat.
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper on your baking sheet, a pour on chickpeas. Shake down into single layer. Set aside bowl for later.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until golden and they start to get poppin'.
- Remove directly to your oily bowl and sprinkle with taco seasoning.
- Let dry and cool in an open container.
- Store in paper bags.
1 cup taco Chickpeas
1 roma tomato diced
6 jalapeno slices, diced
2 Tbsp. plain, fat free Greek Yogurt
2 Tbsp. lower fat shredded Mexican or Taco cheese.
- If taco chickpeas come from storage, warm by toasting in your toaster oven while you slice up everything.
- Layer everything and eat up!
230 calories if made by directions but feel free to add all of your favorite taco fixings. This is just what I had in the house.
For vegan option, swap out cheese and yogurt for substitutes.