It's been snowing all day here in the border lands, and I want comfort food. But, I'm currently in a weightloss contest, so I've got to be careful. I have run into two conundrums. One, I have realized I'm out of shrimp even though I have decided to buy no groceries (except cookie goods) until I've used up some of my freezer goodies. Two, I suddenly had a hankering for shrimp and rice.
Luckily, I had a package of Wegmans Hot Italian Poultry Sausage and a bag of kidney beans, and was able to convince my brain this would probably be a better decision anyway. And I was right. This was super yummy and really filling.
16 oz. frozen cauliflower
1 3/4 cup red kidney beans
3 links of Hot Italian Poultry Sausage
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp. Old Bay
Salt to taste
- In your deepest skillet, first boil your sausages for 15-20 min. until cooked through. Then drain, and allow to brown. Use only water!
- Once sausages are browned, remove from pan and slice.
- Add a bit of water to the pan, just enough to get it going again and to brink up all that lovely browning, and then add in all of the ingredients.
- Stir every now and then to keep from burning.
- Cook until cauliflower is less "wet" and more like slightly mushy cooked rice. Salt to taste.
Makes 4 servings of 165 calories a serving.