I have a ton of parsnips in my farm share from the last few weeks, but I don't eat them very often. I decided to put a spin on an Alton Brown recipe I saw on Good Eats once, but make my own using my own base.
Sweet, spicy, and nutty. Delicious!
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 heaping tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1 cup, packed, grated parsnip
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 granny smith, snacking apple, cored and diced small.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine eggs, vanilla, sugar, oil, soda, powder, salt and spiced, and mix it well.
- Add in parsnip and apple.
- Add in flour and mix until just wet. This is a slightly thicker batter. Don't worry. Remember, apples.
- Scoop into lined or greased muffin tins.
- Bake 15 minutes, shuffle, and bake an additional 10, until golden.
Makes 16 muffins at 150 calories a muffin.