One of my favorite things about cooking with beets is how they color everything lighter beautiful shades of monochromatic ruby. Not to mention how it can be sweet and savory at the same time.
This super simple skillet it's a showstopper for the eyes and pie hole.
3 oz. celeriac, diced small3 oz. radish, sliced about 1/6 an inch
3 oz. Beet, sliced about 1/6 an inch
One small red onion, 2 oz., quartered
2 cups baby spinach
2 slices thick cut bacon
- I use my mandolin for slicing. Quick and easy. For beets, when I buy them I always leave behind a bit of stem so I can use that as my grip rather than the pokey thing, which I find leaves behind a lot of waste. What waste I do have is wash, dried, dehydrated and ground into a veggie additive I often cook with for a bit more flavor.
- Fry up your bacon until just done. You want it a little on the chewy side. Set aside to drain.
- Leave behind about 2tsp. fat. Drain rest to store.
- Add in all roots.
- Saute until radish soft and onion mostly translucent.
- Add spinach, bacon, and seasonings. Just wilt and serve.
Approx. 350 calories for whole skillet. Easily serves 2 as a side.