While I was in Toronto on a business trip, I ate at this amazing concoction of cashew butter, salted date caramel, bananas, black sesame and toast that gave me a sugar high like you wouldn't believe and left me full all day. Inspired by the iQ Food Co, where I got this lovely bit of decadence, I've scoured the internet for a date caramel recipe, and in the end none seemed close enough to what I saw.
But, there was a definite foundation to the recipe. So, here's my version. Not exactly the same, but close enough for me.
1 cup water
1 cup packed, medjool dates, pitted (about 12-14 dates)
1/4 tsp himalayan salt, coarse or to taste
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (I use Nielsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste)
- First, I always buy my dates with pits in and pit them myself. They come out really easy. Just rip them in half the longways and pop it out.
- Bring water to simmer and turn off.
- Soak pitted dates in water until soft. About 2-4 minutes. I use my fingers to test.
- Remove dates from water, but keep water.
- Blend dates, vanilla, and half the soaking water, adding a little more water at a time until consistency is a sticky, thick paste. When it's just about done, add the salt and give it one last whir.
- Store in the refrigerator.
About 50 calories a Tbsp.