Granita is Italian ice served chunky. You can do a lot with it, but it is not healthy at all, not even a little. It's sugar water. Accept it. Embrace it. It is, however, very easy to make with the least amount of evil stuff possible.
2 BIG ice cube trays
2 cups water
1 cup sugar (white or cane, granulated)
1 cup juice (I used V8 Fusion Cranberry Blackberry to get rid of it, and a smidgen of lemon juice for this batch).
- Mix sugar and water together until completely dissolved in a medium sized saucepan. Then DO NOT STIR AGAIN.
- On stove top, bring to boil. Once it begins to boil, boil for 5 minutes exactly.
- Take off heat and add the juice. I SAID, DO NOT STIR AGAIN!
- Pour mixture in ice cube trays (I used my measuring glass with it's nice little spout to keep the mess down) and let freeze 3-5 hours minimum.
- Pop out cubes into container, mash with a fork or potato masher a few cubes at a time as needed.
Makes 4 servings at about 200 calories each, or 8 at roughly 100 calories each. And hey, because I used V8, we got some vitamins and servings of veggies and fruits.
- You really really don't want to use the very brown sugars for this one. The molasses does something funny.
- Nectars don't seem to work well, and leave only a hint of flavoring.
- Will work for popsicles, but small ones recommended-melts faster than store bought.